Oakland Temple

Oakland Temple

Friday, December 4, 2015

Week 10 - Turlock





So lets talk about Thanksgiving.  We went to the Paniagua's house to eat and holy cow.  I had turkey, ham, a potato, green beans, typical thanksgiving food thank goodness.  Later this past week I ate something called Menudo- it has cow intestines in it... The texture is horrible I couldn't swallow it.  The thought of a cow's intestine being in my intestines... Never again.  I am going to claim to be allergic to it.

Last night we got a text from one of our investigators who we believe may be lesbian saying that she wanted to tell us something personal when we had the chance tonight so we might be having a hard discussion tonight.  

This week was so hard.  Our baptism that was supposed to happen-Rocio-cancelled on us.  Her husband doesn't believe she's ready because she's not committed.  She is so prepared and ready but her husband wants to see more from her.  Her husband isn't a member but recognizes it's a big decision.  She's still planning on getting baptized, not sure exactly when.  
Transfers are next week and I am hoping I am staying in Turlock with Hermana Alcaraz.  That means we'd spend Christmas together.

I want to share a little about our part member family the Partida and Navarro family.  The little boy who is 5 is the cutest.  His name is Uriel but his nickname is Woody.  He always volunteers to say the prayer and insists we get on our knees too.  He often uses the word Senor, meaning Lord in his prayer and is so sincere.  He is such an example to me of a humble prayer.
The day before Zone conference I got a call from the Zone leaders to give a training on the Christlike Attribute of Virtue and I was so nervous.  I was responsible for leading the zone on a discussion.  I studied hard.  When we got here (after biking in the cold because we didn't recognize it was as cold as it was) we were all waiting to start the meeting.  Then the sister training leaders walked in-they intimidate me sometimes.  I mean I love them but just get so nervous.  I start sweating.  Literally 2 minutes before we started, the assistant to the President, Elder Jones walked in.  That only means one thing. That President Palmer was here.  Then he walked in.  I began to sweat like crazy.  It went so good though and he said some really nice things to me.  I am so lucky to have an awesome mission president like President Palmer.  Such a great leader.
The following day, me and my companion were going to help with a baptism since ours fell through and we have an investigator named Laura Gaspar who we are helping prepare for baptism.  I played the piano, Hermana Alcaraz was offering a prayer.  Before we left- we get a call from President Palmer's wife, Sister Palmer.  That can be scary.  She just called us up and invited us to go to lunch on her since she was coming out for the baptism. At the baptism Laura our investigator felt the spirit and told us she felt so good.  We cannot wait to talk with her more about everything since she's had several years of lessons but never was invited to attend a baptism.  We think that is just what she needed.  We went to lunch at Olde Tyme Bakery here and it was so good.  I learned that my president and his wife met because He was Her home teacher when they were students back in the day at BYU.  I thought that was cute.  

I do have to say the work gets really hard when I start focusing on me.  When I catch myself thinking about myself, I try to turn outwards and that is when we see miracles happen.

Funny story- we were visiting a member who broke her hip and is in a rehab facility this week and were reading the book of mormon with her.  Afterwards when we asked her what we could bring her, she said cookies.   We said okay and started heading out when she said, 'wait i'm diabetic... you could bring me water.'  lol we were like, oh okay that's probably a good idea. We'll figure out some good food we could bring that wouldn't mess too much with her blood sugar levels.  if You've got any ideas please share.  

I was sick for part of the week with a fever, dizziness, and migraine and so one of the days I was passed out on the floor of our apartment (during our lunch time) when I wake up to my zone leaders at the door.  Elder Andreason and Elder Sheppard.  I popped right up, wiped the drool off and said, 'hello.'  They laughed a little.  They heard I was sick and just wanted to check up on me.  We laughed for a little and I think that combined with my nap was exactly what we needed.  
The weight gain has stumped and I'm starting to lose again thank heavens.  It's an answer to my prayers.  
The people here I love. The place is great.  Hope to stay so I'll let you know next week if I'm in the same area with Hermana Alcaraz.  Time is flying.  I love you all.  Be so safe.
love,
xoxo
Hermana Waters




No comments:

Post a Comment