Oakland Temple

Oakland Temple

Wednesday, November 18, 2015



WEEK 8


Hola friends and family!

So Goodwill is my new favorite thing.  Mom- if you see me in any clothes you don't recognize, it's probably from there because cheap and not too shabby.  I actually was shocked at what I found.  I don't know if it was good stuff but yesterday in church, a branch presidency member came up to me and told me that I looked like a hippie.  My hair was natural, i was wearing my black Dansko dress shoes and some beige tights and the dress I wore to my farewell.  I was like ok cool... He said I should go to Hollywood and be a hippie actress.  not sure how I feel about that but all i said was thanks and nodded my head up and down.  
We got dropped for the first time here.  I hadn't met this guy yet so it didn't completely tear out my heart but it's still sad.  I made my companion a cookie cake, covered in cream cheese and we just had a sad session during companionship study.  He said he was appreciative of  all the hard work he's just been busy and unable to put the effort he wants.  He will be ready later, just now isn't his time.  
I got a watermelon and cut it up.  You can only imagine my excitement.
On Tuesday- we were knocking on doors and having no luck.  A drunk guy had opened one of the doors, several homes where no one answered, a guy who we couldn't understand at all (my companion is a native so that's saying something) he said something about a fiesta and Jesus, and then a fall out appointment and you wouldn't believe how God blessed me and Hermana Alcaraz.  We knocked on this one door and a beautiful man, with light brown eyes, tan skin and one shade darker hair-curled just enough to tell it's wavy, came out.  I was left in shock.  This was the house where I was supposed to do the talking according to my trainer but I was like hushed.  So my Hermana stepped in and saved me.  He said he would love to talk about it sometime so my Hermana made an appointment and I got his number.  I didn't recognize that I didn't say why (to send a reminder text because that's what works best) and she saved me then too explaining why.  I am a retard. Whatever though.  awkward hermana right here.  Pray for us.
We had dinner at the Gonzalez family's house. The husband is a Jehovah Witness and wife a member.  They have a 17 year old with a baby, a 12 year old girl Gizelle who lovessss the elders, and  a 7 year old girl who has sass.  I love it.  The mom had to leave for a little bit and of course the little 7 year old girl runs and grabs her paint kit.  She starts begging to paint my face.  Of course, I tell her if she promises me she will be baptized in a couple of months when she turns 8 that I will let her paint my face.  She promised so of course I got my face painted. Paint was in my hair, nose, ears, eyes, and mouth despite her promise to not get it anywhere else. Long story short it dyed my face purple and we had appointments afterwards.   At one of those appointments, our investigator had pet bunnies so of course I wanted to hold them.  Well I did and they both peed on me.  So I came home looking pretty beat up. but esta bien. 
Grandma sent Beano because she thought it would be funny so I thought it would be funny to give it to the elders.  The Elders doorbell ditched us, leaving their dress slacks for us to fix up because they are torn.  This morning, me and Hermana grabbed the Beano, put a bow on it and wrote a sweet note on a card 'Note from the Sister Missionaries' saying that we heard their 'toot'ing horns at a member's house when we were there for dinner and we wanted to return the favor.  We told them we think they could actually use this and that we knew it wouldn't go to waste with them.  We dropped it off and ran off laughing.  All the neighbors in our apartment complex were laughing and having a good time with us.  I feel right at home here.
Daisy, she is progressing so awesome! I am shocked.  She lives with her boyfriend and commited to live the law of chastity.  She is so ready and knows why it's so important to God.  There are some difficulties to work though but she has a bright future. 
It was miracle too because Daisy's boyfriend-Donald I thought hated us.  He would always just hang somewhere else and act like we weren't even there.  Well this week, we came for a lesson and the whole family was sitting together on the couch.  He turned off the tv and I thought he was going to get up to leave.  Nope, he stayed.  At first he was making fun of prophets and the bible so were were worried.  But within 10 minutes his heart was softened. He was helping Daisy understand.  We were shocked.  He loved it and we asked when we could come back again, he said you can come back tomorrow, and the next day and the next day, whenever you want.  It was awesome the insight he contributed.  We are hoping they both will prepare to be baptized.   We screamed when we got back in the car.
My companion doesn't have her boot anymore wooohooooooo.  so no more crutches we just have 1 week of driving only still until we can bike.  She has pink eye right now so I'm glad that she doesn't have the boot too.  
Food is good as always.  
We are looking for more investigators who are ready to progress.  We have done contacting and had a cool day Saturday.  We were stopping by a less active members house and were leaving a note on her door because she didn't answer when a guy on a bike pulled up and was friendly. He also believed that God, Jesus, and the Holy ghost are 3 seperate beings and he's catholic! I was so excited.  He took a book of Mormon and headed out right when a homeless woman biked up to us.  It was so sad.  We had a good talk about God and about the plan and she took a book of mormon. He uncle was a mormon and recently passed away, she said he would probably want her to have it.  We had a lemon honey water night because all the missionaries in Turlock were sick so all the Elders came standing outside our door coughing. We made some warm lemon honey water and gave it out too all.  We all were so sick.  
Rocio is getting baptized this Saturday and we are so excited for here! So that is where I will be next Saturday!
We were street contacting Saturday and it was hard.  It's hard to walk up to someone and just start talking about religion.  After many people had brushed us off and I was really discouraged, I said out loud, 'God please send someone to come up to us for once and talk with us.' Hermana Alcaraz laughed and literally 10 seconds after I said that, God sent us this man walking up to us.  He said, 'Hello! How are you guys?' We responded, 'so good.' and he asked us what we were doing.  So we were so set up to share it was crazy.  We explained a bit and withing 2 minutes we had all of his contact info because he wanted to know more.  You better believe I was praising God all night long.  Prayer is the realest thing.
In closing, me and my hermana had a really awesome companion study where we read 'Crying with the Saints' by Glenn L Pace from 1980's it was so awesome.  Look it up.  I know it can be hard to be a member and have sinners laughing at you but just because someone thinks what you're doing is weird or different, it's okay.  You have strength from the other side.  You are never alone.  

Love you all,
xoxo
Hermana Waters











November 11, 2015

Hi!  It is me from Modesto - Turlock!  Wow is this place AMAZING!  The members care so much about missionary work.  I go to a branch of about 100 members.  It's so small since only 30 usually show up on Sunday.  Relief Society consists of 8 other ladies next to me and Hermana Alcatraz.

You all would love to hear, there are so many stray cats here!  It's unbelievable!  Every night I try to have a moment where I can just sit outside my apartment and pet them.  (Of course, I then wash my hands).  They love the attention so I am willing to give it to those that are interested.  Today I had a sad experience while knocking on doors.  At one door, after explaining who we were, the guy said, "Oh I am catholic so we aren't the same you know?"  I responded "Who is God to you?"  He replied, "No one, nothing."  It was a shock to me and my companion that we were not prepared for.  It was sad and as we headed back to the sidewalk to the next house I couldn't help but think of how much knowing who God is has blessed my life.  I didn't think I would be this passionate about our beliefs.  That God is our literal father, who loves us as a father would and does.  I want you to know God is everything to me.  You guys add to my testimony of that because I know our family was created by God, a perfected being.  He doesn't get these things wrong.  I promise.

Love Always,
Hermana Aguas

No comments:

Post a Comment