Oakland Temple

Oakland Temple

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Week 19-Modesto



Hola! Things are starting to warming up and it's fun to be on the streets talking with people.  Socorro's baptism is this upcoming Satuday so hopefully next week you'll be getting some pictures from that.  

A new favorite scripture found in Mormon 9:31
Condemn me not because of mine imperfectionneither my father, because of his imperfection, neither them who have written before him; but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections,that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been.

This week  I thought about the changes I want to make when I get home.  I know that's far away but as I encountered this article from this month's ensign called 'Remarriage: An Adventure in Patience and Love'​
It's about a family who got combined when the kids were older.  I related that to what I have now.  My father is married and his wife has her 4 grown daughters and my mom will most likely one day have a husband who has his children too.  In the article it talks about the struggles they face and that it wasn't an easy switch.  I always have to remind myself of the change that is now part of my life.  Before the mission I never fully accepted that truth.  This family's story

The last part says "Putting two families together requires twice as much love and twice the patience.   There has been a lot of cooking and many loads of laundry to wash, but it's worth it.  We love our large family.  The blessings of having twice as many people to love are twice as great."

This is specifically for my family.  I thought about all the changes we've been through.  It's seems ridiculous that I mourned over the fact that my dad got married or that my mom is dating.  The idea that they have kids of their own that I'd be forced to loved and expected to get along with seemed miserable.  I mean, I am older and I have my own ways.  
But my perspective changed because of that little phrase.

I burst into tears recognizing that this new stage of life my family had embarked on was a chance for me to learn to love more people.  We are so lucky for this opportunity.  I think of the support that I know we can feel as we work to develop lasting relationships with once strangers who have become now family.  

It's maybe not what we envisioned but it's what we got and it's to our benefit.  Right now I look forward to growing closer to the newer parts of my family.  I don't think it will be so bad after all.

"The most important thing is to have the same enthusiasm for serving our Savior and the determination to strive toward the goal to be an eternal family. "

May we all look for ways to love more and accept more.

I love you all and hope you had a great week.

Love,

Hermana Waters






No comments:

Post a Comment